Saturday, March 5, 2011

Welcome to my blog

So, I'm not really sure where to begin.  I'm a long-time blog reader, and I thought perhaps it was time to start my own blog - a place to share my thoughts and pictures, as well as a record to look back on later.  Growing up I often kept a journal, but usually I would faithfully write in it for a few months, and then abandon it for a few months, and then pick it up again... and so on.  So I can't promise that I'll have regular posts, but I'll try my best.  Here's a little bit about how I chose the name of my blog...

"Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott is my favorite book.  I got my first copy for Christmas when I was a teenager, and I've probably read it at least 15-20 times since then (I'm on my second copy already).  I read it once a year, usually every summer at the lake.  I've been asked how I can read the same book over and over, but it doesn't get old for me.  And almost each time I read it, I pick up on something new, something I hadn't noticed or thought of before.  This is my favorite passage from the book:

"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good. To be admired, loved, and respected. To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience. It is natural to think of it, Meg, right to hope and wait for it, and wise to prepare for it, so that when the happy time comes, you may feel ready for the duties and worthy of the joy. My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world, marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing, and when well used, a noble thing, but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."

This was my desire growing up, and still even now - to be admired, loved and respected, to be well married, to lead a useful life, to be content, to have self-respect and peace.  I'm very blessed to be "loved and chosen by a good man" named Carey and we've been married for just over 7 years now.  We have 2 children - Annika, our little woman, who is almost 3, and Emmett, our little man, who is 3 months. 

There's also a second meaning to the name of my blog - I am just one little woman, but I believe that I can make a difference (forgive me for sounding a bit cliche, but it's true).  I believe I can make a difference in the environment, in my kids, in my marriage, in the people around me...  Every choice I make has the potential to make a difference, and even though it may seem small at times, it still counts.  Sometimes I may not be able to see it right away.  Sometimes I may never see it.  But I still trust that I can make a difference, and God will use this one little woman.

2 comments:

tammi said...

Nice to "meet" you, Little Woman! I love that quote ~ what a great thing to teach our daughters. I may have to copy that and print it out to hang up somewhere.

Pamela said...

Congrats on your new blog!