Monday, September 12, 2011

1000 gifts: #62-70

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have lost my blogging mojo.  I seem to lack the motivation and the energy to post.  Maybe I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed from all the posting during August.  Maybe it's just a general reflection of my life right now - I've been sick and tired for a while (physically) and it's also starting to take it's toll on me emotionally.  I know my last post sounded quite upbeat and positive, but to be honest, that's not how I feel most days.  Although I am hoping that the change of season and change of routine will perhaps kick my butt back into gear.  I'm hoping that having so many things to look forward to will be the incentive I need to pull myself out of this funk.  However, I know I am still blessed, even when I'm not feeling it.  This past week's gifts:

plenty of work for Carey at his job (I try to remind myself that this is a blessing, when he has to work late or on Saturdays)

sleeping with the windows open (and actually being able to sleep - often I'm kept awake by the noises outside, but not this week)

"open house" morning at Annika's preschool - she's so excited for school to start

late night cuddles with Emmett (just too bad that they happened because he's sick)

catching up with a good friend who has been away for a while

being able to get Emmett a doctor appointment today, so we didn't have to go to a walk-in

medication for his ear infection

chocolate covered almonds

the God-given strength to go on, even when I think I'm done


3 comments:

emily said...

Though it's hard to see our little ones sick, I admit that I too enjoy those cuddly moments that I know will grow fewer as they get older...hoping you find peace through your current funk.

Andrea said...

That last one is one I am clinging to with all my might these days....

I hope you start feeling better (physically and emotionally) really soon.

Perhaps one day before the end of the month, you and the kids will have to come down for that jam-session we've been talking about. :) It'll get you out of the house and in a change of scenery.

tammi said...

I think maybe this funk is something of an Internet virus! I've heard several bloggers talking about struggling emotionally recently and I, myself, am just coming out of a slump that started somewhere mid-August. End-of-summer blues? I don't know.

I've come to believe (or maybe I've just decided this to make myself feel better about it!) these seasons are normal, part of life's ebb and flow. God gave us our emotions for a reason and maybe the gift in all this is that the low times serve to highlight the highs. I used to have an Oswald Chambers quote on my blog when I was still ValleyGirl: “We were not built for the mountains and the dawns and aesthetic affinities – those are for moments of inspiration, that is all. We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that is where we have to prove our mettle.” And I don’t think he means we can view everyday life as nothing more than drudgery, but that the simple reality is that most of our life is “ordinary-ness” and it’s the odd mountaintop experience that gives us the strength to persevere through all the ordinary. It’s the odd mountaintop experience that gives us hope, courage, and inspiration. And it’s those occasional deeper struggles – the arduous climb – that make us really truly appreciate those mountaintops.

For me, these periods of struggle have proven a valuable tool in desiring to learn more about God. I think if I never had times where I felt completely out of control, where my life was crushing me, I likely wouldn’t ever be compelled to really study my Bible, to desperately search for His promises and reassurances, to get to know Him better. I don’t think I’d feel it was as necessary.

I prayed for you (and you too, Andrea!) this morning on my walk – I hope your struggles will bring you to the mountaintop soon and that the refreshing time of communion you have there will take you through the weeks and months ahead. And give you a craving and a hope for the mountaintop end result of the next struggle!