Saturday, October 8, 2011

Giving thanks, Annika style (or "an easy Thanksgiving craft")

I wanted to share this neat idea for a simple Thanksgiving craft to do with little kids.  It's very simple - just look through some magazines, flyers or catalogues with your kids, cut out pictures of things they are thankful for, and glue them onto a paper.  I can't take credit for the idea - it was a craft Annika did in preschool yesterday.  However, when we were walking to the car after school, the wind blew a few of her glued-on pictures right off the page (anyone around here will remember how windy it was yesterday!).  So I told her that we would find some new pictures when we got home.


The picture they did in preschool only had 4 pictures glued on (one in each balloon), but once we got going, we just kept cutting out pictures and glueing them on.  It was actually really fun looking for the pictures and talking about them with Annika.  She really wanted to cut out a picture of some mascara (we were looking at a London Drugs flyer), but I told her "you don't even use that."  She replied "But you do, you put it on after your shower every morning."  I had to laugh at that - I guess she was thankful that I took the time to put on mascara!  Anyway, we settled on the nail polish instead, because she loves painting her nails.  I also had to laugh that she was thankful for Coke, since we never even have it in the house.  I don't even remember the last time she would've drank it.  I guess that just shows you the power of branding. :P

Anyways, if you're looking for something fun to do with your kids this weekend, I recommend this!

By the way, if you're wondering about the "God" reference and the prayer at the bottom coming from a preschool, Annika goes to a preschool that is run by a Lutheran church.  So far we have been really happy with it, and they haven't taught her anything that doctrinally conflicts with our Mennonite beliefs! ;)

1 comment:

Gin said...

What a great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for us as a reminder of how blessed we are.