Saturday, July 21, 2012

Tidal wave

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but for the longest time, especially after having kids, I didn't really have any hobbies.  In my free time (which is very limited) I would watch TV or go on the computer, and I don't really consider those hobbies.  :P  And while those activities still are a part of my life (sometimes more so than they should be), I'm glad to say that I've found other activities that I enjoy - sewing, painting, cooking/baking (this one is a bit of a love/hate relationship, but more love than it used to be), running, organizing, reading...  to name a few.  While I enjoy all of these things, usually I only enjoy them one at a time.  I'll get "bit" by the sewing bug and spend a few weeks with my sewing machine.  When I painted the wooden dolls for Annika, that was all I did, in pretty much every spare minute, for about 2 weeks.  I'll get absorbed in a good book (or if I'm lucky, a good series), but I'll finish it a week later or so.  And then there are times when I don't feel like doing anything, and I'll spend some quality time with my couch.  ;) 

This ebb and flow of inspiration (and motivation) works out pretty well, because there certainly aren't enough (kid-free) hours in the day to devote to all these activities, all the time.  However, right now I feel like I'm being hit by a tidal wave - I want to do everything at once!!  I've got a million ideas for some new wooden dolls (I'm doing some for friends, some for a charity auction, and it's never too early to start thinking about Christmas!!) and my big order of unpainted dolls should arrive in about a week.  But in the mean time, I've got a few sewing projects on the go (unfortunately I can't share what I've been making so far, because I'll be making something similar as a baby gift for one of my dear friends [who is a loyal reader], so you'll have to wait to see!) and I also want to sew an apron for Emmett.  I know, it sounds kind of girly, but the fabric and design I have picked out is very masculine. :)  He just gets so jealous when Annika and I put on our aprons - one time I had to pin a tea towel around his waist so he wouldn't feel so left out!  Plus I figure it can also double as a carpenter's apron when he's helping Carey.  On top of all this, I've got a long list of recipes I want to try out and a stack of books waiting to be read.  I requested a bunch from the library, figuring it would take a while till it would be my turn (and it would be unlikely that they would all come at once), but I ended up with 3 books ready at the same time!  I've also been wanting to do some stuff around the house, organizing and decluttering, but that may have to wait until the weather cools down (trying to enjoy the weather, even if it is really hot, and get out as much as possible these days!).

I'm not sure why the sudden burst of motivation (no, I'm not nesting), but I'm trying to take advantage of it while it lasts.  That's why I haven't been posting much lately - just recipes and pictures - I'm just too busy doing other things!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Wyatt has an apron! I had a blue one monogrammed with his name. :) He wears it if he helps me baking, but also if we're doing a messy craft. Totally masculine. ;)

pam said...

Oooh, I love the idea of a monogram!! I was going to do a little pocket on top (and bigger pockets at the bottom), but now I think I'm going to do an "E" on the top. Thanks for the idea!