Monday, August 13, 2012

1000 gifts: 181-191

I've been very bad at keeping up with my "1000 gifts" posts (or my list of things that I'm thankful for, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the term "1000 gifts"). Granted, over the summer I've had very little motivation to blog at all (remember those weekly summer cooking posts I was going to do?  Whoops. :P), but I feel especially bad about not doing these particular ones, because I know that I have so much to be thankful for. I find, though, that if I don't take note of things as they're happening, if I just try to sit down and write a list all at once, it's hard to come up with things. Why is that? Why do those beautiful little moments slip away so easily? Is it just me, or does anyone else find that too?? Anyway, I'm going to TRY to be more intentional with these posts, even if it's just a quick list, or a few things (I usually try to aim for 10 in each post, but better to note 5 things than none at all, right?). So here's what I'm thankful for so far this summer...

181. Enjoying fresh peas, spinach, rhubarb and cherry tomatoes from our little garden (okay, I didn't enjoy the tomatoes all that much, but I did taste one, and I'm very thankful that they're growing and others can enjoy them).  Hopefully we'll also be able to enjoy our carrots very soon.

182. Spending time at the lake with family and friends.


183. A new bookshelf for Emmett's room (which we got on sale), and finally hanging up these baby photos!!



184. Hobbies that let me lose track of time.  I was painting Annika's dolls the other day during her quiet time, and I lost track of time and she caught me in the act!  So much for a surprise. :P  Good new is that she's very excited for having "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls.

185. Being able to wear my contacts, at least for a few hours each day.  This summer my eyes have been misbehaving, and after wearing contacts for 15 years with no problems, I now find that my eyes are irritated by them, especially with extended wear.  I've consulted my contact lens guy a few times, and I'm trying out some different brands of lenses.  I can wear them fairly comfortably, but it's just not the same as it used to be.  But it's better than wearing my glasses full-time (or not having anything to correct my vision!).

186. That whatever this is (double decker planking??), they both seem to enjoy it. :P



187. Friends that take the time and effort to connect with our kids.  It really means a lot to us. :)

188. A sleepover for the kids at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and a date night for Carey and I.  We finally went to see The Hunger Games!!

189. Annika's bed staying dry at night.

190. A new tooth for Emmett (#11) that came in painlessly.  Hurray for amber teething necklaces!!

191. Afternoon day camp for Annika, nap time for Emmett and a wonderfully quiet house for me.  Ahhhh....

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You have inspired me to get back on track with recording blessings friend! Thanks a bunch, great skyping with you guys today too!

Pamela said...

Did you enjoy Hunger Games? Did Carey read the books too?