Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Niagara Falls/Toronto trip

It's been pretty quiet here on the blog because we were away last week.  Carey and I went on a little vacation - without kids!!  We left on Wednesday and went to Toronto and Niagara Falls.  We flew into Toronto, took a bus to Niagara Falls for 2 days, and then went back to Toronto for 2 days.  We got back late on Saturday night.  Here's a few photos and highlights from our trip. 

The view from our room on the 14th floor of The Oakes hotel.

We had our laptop with us, so we sent the kids pictures while we were away.  Apparently when Annika saw this picture she was a bit concerned that the boat was going to hit the rainbow. :)

Squinty squinty in the bright sun.  Carey's sunglasses broke just before we left, and I got an eye infection just before leaving and had to wear my glasses for the first few days of our vacation.

Waiting to board "The Maid of the Mist."  This silly plastic poncho just about suffocated me a few times - it kept blowing over my face. :P

On "The Maid of the Mist".  Because I had to wear my glasses, I didn't see much when we were right near the falls - too much water on my lenses.

After our boat ride.  The American Falls are on the left, and the Horseshoe Falls are at the very right.

Being silly tourists (Niagara Falls is full of them, so you don't feel out of place acting like a tourist!).

In Toronto we went on a "hop on, hop off" tour of the city.  Watch out for those low bridges!  The funniest part of the tour was when the 2 old British ladies sitting behind us pointed out a guy mooning us from his apartment window.  They thought it was hilarious (as did we), but the tour guide didn't look impressed (I wonder how often that happens...).

It was a bright and windy day on top of the bus.  Luckily I was able to wear my contacts and could wear my sunglasses.  We stopped at a Shoppers Drug Mart later in the day and got some sunglasses for Carey.

Our city tour package also included a 1 hour boat tour.  The CN Tower from Lake Ontario.

The Rogers Centre (aka SkyDome) from the top of the CN Tower.

The glass floor.  It took me a few minutes to work up the courage to stand on it, although apparently it's strong enough to support 14 large hippos.
 
The view from the top.

I'm not crazy about heights, but Carey is helping me get over it (every time we're on vacation he makes me go up somewhere high).  I have a collection of pictures of me at various high places - I think this is the most relaxed-looking one of them all.

Casa Loma.  Sir Henry Pellatt built it as a birthday gift for his wife.  I don't remember what Carey got me for my last birthday....  just sayin'.....   Although, Sir Pellatt did eventually have to auction off the place and everything he owned and died almost penniless, so I guess I don't need a castle. ;)

Not so "secret" anymore. ;)

It was a great trip, and really nice to have some time for just the two of us, however, it was really busy!  We saw and did a lot of things, but I think for our next vacation, we'll need to schedule in some nap time!

3 comments:

tammi said...

Very cool! I LOVE that shot from your hotel room ~ what an incredible view!

I did a similar trip years ago when spending a week visiting a friend who lived in Aylmer at the time. We didn't do the Maid of the Mist, but we went in the tunnels under the falls. I also have a picture looking down through the CN tower floor ~ man, that's a weird feeling! Took me a while to work up the courage, too!!

Unknown said...

Niagara Falls, Toronto is one such destination as generously offers romance, beauty, adventure, thrill, luxury and finesse all at one place. A Toronto Niagara tour can provide you and your spouse with plenty of dreamlike moments that will make you feel like heavens in the heart of world’s most powerful waterfalls.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I love your pictures! I would like to use one of them for the website I work for - hopper.com so please contact me tara@hopper.com so we can discuss.

Thanks for your consideration :)