Saturday, November 10, 2012

Insomnia update

The past 2 months have been difficult for me, since, as you know, I've been dealing with chronic insomnia.  I've tried lots of different things to help me sleep (unfortunately that de-stress bath only worked once - I tried it a few other times with no help to my sleep), including prescription sleep pills and melatonin pills.  This past week I saw my doctor, and he encouraged me to simply keep taking the melatonin pills (I had tried not to take them continually, but couldn't sleep well without them) and get back into a good sleep routine.  He said that my body wouldn't get addicted to them, and it was fine to take them for 6 months to a year.  He did recommend taking as low of a dose as possible, though.  At one point I was taking only 1/4 of a pill (about 1.25mg), but after a few bad nights this week, I've gone back up to a higher dose.  I'm hoping to get back down to 1/4 of a pill, and then to stick with that.

He also recommended daily exercise, which I've been doing pretty well with so far.  For the past while I've only exercised maybe once or twice a week, but so far I've gone on the treadmill 5 times in the last 6 days.  Hopefully I can keep this up.  I've made it a priority to do it first thing after dropping off Annika at school (she goes 3 afternoons a week) and putting Emmett down for his nap, and it feels good.  I feel good.  I love the feeling of running - where you just have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other.  Just keep going.  Don't worry about anything else - no fancy moves or tricky exercises - just simply move your feet.  And I think the exercise is good for my head - my mood, my stress levels - as well as my body.  :)  I'm also trying to avoid caffeine and alcohol (not too hard), as well as limit the amount of sugar I eat (which is really hard - I have a major sweet tooth!).

Anyway, just wanted to give a little update with where I'm at, as well as share with you a few blessings and things to be thankful for that I've discovered during this difficult time:
  • God-given strength to get through the days that I didn't think I could manage - "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)
  • Health - the kids have been taking turns being sick and I thought for sure I would also get sick since I'm not getting the rest I normally would, but I've managed to avoid it (so far...  knock on wood...)
  • Help and support from family and friends - this has been a BIGGIE.  I couldn't have done it on my own.
  • Access to doctors and counselors and medications to help me physically and emotionally.
  • A husband who is a deep sleeper - I'm sure I've disturbed him to some degree with my tossing and turning and getting up, but I think overall he's still been sleeping okay.
  • The promise of rest - "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
 (1000 gifts #215-220)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wise words or cures. But I will offer my support by praying for you. If you need anything - just call - seriously. Thanks for sharing your journey and letting us love you and care for you during this challenging time.
~ Lil