Saturday, March 23, 2013

Knit, knit, knit

Last week Saturday I bought myself some knitting needles and a ball of yarn, opened up my computer and searched "how to knit" and taught myself to knit.  Okay, it wasn't exactly that easy, and I still have TONS to learn, but I'm really enjoying it (despite a few struggles along the way).  I wanted to learn to knit because I wanted to do something that was a little more portable and easier to start up/set up than some of my other hobbies, like sewing or painting little wood peg dolls.  I also like the repetitive nature of it - it's sort of soothing and relaxing to just do something over and over (once you don't have to think about it so much!).  I had learned to crochet years ago (and had also forgotten how to crochet years ago), but I wanted to do something different.  I recently read a book called "The Friday Night Knitting Club", and while the storyline itself didn't particularly grab me, all the talk of knitting did.  So I decided to just do it.


This was my first practice piece - learning the knit and purl stitches.  It's not very pretty, but it found a home in Annika's dollhouse, as an area rug, and she was thrilled about it.


My second practice piece also ended up in Annika's dollhouse, as a blanket.  On this one I practiced the "stockinette" stitch (knit one row, purl one row).  Again, she loved that I was making stuff for her.


My third attempt, and I actually followed a pattern!  Can you see the ribbing?  I found this pattern for a simple dishcloth, and it turned out pretty well (once I figured out how to switch between knit and purl in the same row - thank goodness for YouTube!).  I'm not sure it was really the right yarn for a dishcloth, but I had fun making it anyway.  And I'm sure if I don't use it as a dishcloth, Annika will find some other use for it!

I'm not sure what my next project will be, but I think it's time to buy some different yarn!  I'm getting a little tired of looking at green and purple. :)

No comments: