Monday, August 19, 2013

A week at the lake

It's been quiet around here because we were at the lake last week.  The kids and I went out with my parents on Wednesday morning, and Carey came up on Friday.  We got home yesterday evening.  It was a good week.  The weather was nice, the kids did lots of playing and swimming, and I got to have a little vacation too (thanks Mom and Dad for looking after all of us "kids").  The last time I went out to the lake with my parents (and without Carey) was 2 years ago, and I came home and said I'm never, ever doing that again.  Well, what a difference a few years make.  This time it went really well - the kids are a little more independent (and out of diapers - hurray!!!), and it worked really well to have Carey come out for the last half, rather than the first half (as we did in the past).  I didn't take a lot of pictures (after a while all those beach/swimming pictures start to look the same), but here are a few.

The three of us in the backseat, with all our gear.  It was a tight fit.

Annika had her first taste of roll kuchen and loved it.  What a good little Menno.  We couldn't get Emmett to try it, which was too bad, because I'm sure he'd love it too.

 Since the cabin is 100 years old, there are lots of relics from past owners.  This time around we dug out some "new" old toys that someone left there, and Emmett was in his glory.

Our annual family canoe ride.

Emmett went tubing (with Carey) for the first time.  He was pretty solemn for the whole ride, but afterwards he said it was a good tube ride.  We couldn't convince Annika to give it a try.  Maybe next year.

Annika and I went kayaking.  So did Carey and Emmett, but I didn't get a picture of it.

On the way home we stopped for ice cream, but the kids were far more interested in this play structure than their cones.  Let me tell you, eating 2 big ice cream cones may sound like a good idea, but it's not.  That was a lot of ice cream ('cuz we couldn't let them go to waste....)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

So Emmett was brave enough to try tubing but not roll kuchen? :) And I can't believe that this was Annika's FIRST taste of it - wow!!